North Street Station

0.5-Acre Historical Site

North Street

Clyde Township, Saint Clair County

The TLC purchased the old North Street general store, post office, and rail station in North Street through the Saint Clair County tax auction in August of 2016. The purchase was made possible by a generous donation from Robert Collins of Fort Gratiot. This historic structure is located on 0.5 acre and would have been demolished to serve as parking for an adjacent church.

An important part of the history and development of the Thumb region, the North Street Station is one of only two remaining depots between Port Huron and Croswell along the old Port Huron and Northwestern Railway which opened in 1879. The main line ran from Port Huron to Saginaw, with branches to Sandusky, Port Hope, and Port Austin. The line became part of the Pere Marquette Railroad in 1889. The original North Street depot probably dates back to at least 1889, but was later partially modified in the mid 1940s to better serve as a residence.

The TLC is partnering with the Clyde Historical Society to protect the structure and fundraise for restoration. In 2017 through 2020, we focused on much needed clean-up of the site. We began restoration of the south roof structure in 2017 and in 2023, completed installation of sheet metal over the entire depot roof. This may be temporary until we have the funding to install what was likely cedar shake roofing of the original depot. Although work has been slow due to funding and staff limitations, we plan to restore the exterior and install signs describing the history of the site. Eventually, we would like to restore the interior, display related historical artifacts, and open it for meetings and public events.